Tuesday, April 11, 2006

 

This is NOT a Food Blog!

Just setting some parameters here - I am not going to blog about food, but I might still talk about food sometimes. Let's face facts, we all like to eat at least 2 times a day.

Son #1 asked recently "Why do you have your laptop in the kitchen instead of upstairs?"

So I explained that I can utilize my time better if I don't have to go up & down the stairs & I can still monitor what's going on in the kitchen. When the sun is shining our kitchen is a warm & cheerful place to be. I would just like to see the renovations completed this year, so I can unpack my kitchen boxes. Well, here's hoping!

Anyway, last week I had to come up with something for dinner. There were leftovers but not enough to feed 4 people. I had an assortment of fresh vegetables & a small amount of mashed potato, so I decided to try out a recipe I found on a food blog web-site. It was for 'potato short-crust pastry' & I decided to make a vegetable pie. I've always liked the ready-rolled puff pastry I could buy in Sydney, but making pastry always seemed to take too much time. This pastry recipe mixed up quickly.

We eat more spuds now than we ever did in MA, USA. For those that don't know, Estonian potatoes have so much more flavour to them than the big American potatoes. Back then I prefered to buy the smaller 'new' potatoes.

While I waited for the crust to be blind baked, I fried some onions & garlic cloves, a small leek, 2 small red & green capsicums & threw in some leftover sweet corn kernels. Then I spread the fried vegies in the shell. I then beat a few eggs together & poured that over to bind it together. On the top I scattered some feta cheese squares & grated some Wesleydale cheese that Erik brought back from the UK.

Son #2 complained that there was no meat in it, so next time I'll add some ham, or bacon. He didn't like the capsicums, or the leeks, either. Son #2 said it was OK. Erik said it was very good, but then he'll eat anything I put in front of him (as long as it isn't liver). I rather thought it made a great vegetarian dish.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?